Thursday, March 4, 2010

HOMEBREW!!

As HW1 and LTDx can attest, I am becoming a jr brewmaster. I say jr because, as the beer has a good flavor, alcohol content, etc., both of my brews thus far have been very amatuer. Super Bowl Sunday, the Arooo Brewery introduced our "Kenny's Bunkporter." It was critically acclaimed (by Jenny's family) basically because it didn't suck. The Bunkporter had great color and flavor, but to me lacked the thickness of a true porter. Additionally, there were a bit too many bubbles for my liking. Overall, as a first batch I give it a 4.5 out of 10.

Because I agreed with Jenny that the second beer could be hers to choose, we went with a Blackberry Witbier. Last Sunday, we debuted Johanna's Wheat (Jenny's mom is Johanna Wheat) and our results have been lauded to this point. The flavor is wonderful and the aroma is fantastic. We were skeptical as to the strength of the blackberry flavor, but it ended up being dead on. The only knock on this beer thus far to me is the same of Sweetwater Blue, you really cannot drink more than 1 or 2 without getting tired of it. Overall, I give it a 6.5 out of 10.

This weekend we are bottling batch #3, a hoppy IPA, where it will sit for 2 weeks carbonating. It is our first batch outside of the rookie beers (we steeped our own grains), so we hope that we can take the next step forward. I am still looking for a catchy name, so if you think of one let me know.

Side notes: We figure these beers are between 7-7.5%

Batch #4 will be a Strawberry-Orange blonde that HW1 has appropriately named the SOB.

JOAJ- I left one beer from each of the first two batches with HW1 for you to try. Always need feedback from a true connoisseur.

5 comments:

  1. I'm excited to try it! Maybe over the summer we can get together and make some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeAh im down. Start thinking of some things youd like to try and we'll do it. Each batch takes 6 weeks start to finish. We run 2 batches at a time on 3 week intervals

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed both beers. The fruity one was a little bit better to me, but I liked them both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,I'm impressed. You're definitely head and shoulders above the ole 'Mr. Beer' stage!

    ReplyDelete