Thursday, September 11, 2008

Never Forget.

I wasn't going to dwell on this today, because I honestly think moving forward is the best medicine. But, even after making all my picks and savoring every tid-bit of college football I could find, the pit was still there. So, I have to say something:

I'm a history person, so I believe we can learn form our mistakes. I'm an American, so the events of 9/11 are personal and painful. On this, the seventh anniversary of those attacks, I hope that we are learning, but I feel that we are lost. I do not want to belabor or belittle anything or anyone, but that spot still stands empty and two wrongs do not make a right. Do not ask me if 'I have forgotten' because I've learned from those events. We know pain, vulnerability, fear, and anger because of that day, but we are not alone. I will not be cajoled by war mongers, and it infuriates when they use our real hurt to whip up their frenzy, or ignore the human experience in another land to justify their means. A nationless war of false retribution and point proving has cost us our economy, our foreign standing, our confidence as a nation, and too many American lives. Please, let us learn. Let us progress. Let us not be doomed to repeat the fallacies of our past while we still have the fresh scars to remind us who we are and where we come from. We're better than that. God Bless America.

3 comments: