Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Weekday QB

I never gave you a Sunday Morning-QB post. I guess I was trying so hard to process everything that happened that I subconsciously flipped the 'forget' switch. I hope this makes up for it.

Eric Legrand has almost paid the ultimate price for the game. Pull through, big guy. It's shit like this that gives us true perspective on this sport. Well wishes can be sent here.

Cam Newton looks for real...Auburn still doesn't. It is certainly impressive to carve up a team for 500 yards and 65 points, but it was just Arkansas' D and the Tigers' D looked non-existent. I think Oregon is a fair comparison right now, and as of right now, the Ducks D looks better. And, while they might not have a Cam Newton, they do have what seems to be a better 'team.' Still though, Newton for Heisman...this week, anyway.

NOT this guy.


Staying with Auburn: This weeks Tiger Duel is huge; LSU at Auburn to decide who'll be the last man standing unscathed in the SEC. I'm leaning towards Auburn for two reasons: Cam Newton and LSU's inability to exploit Auburn's over-generous secondary.

FTS called three of the major upsets: Kentucky, Hawaii, and Texas. In the end, though, they shouldn't really be seen as huge upsets. South Carolina is still South Carolina, a road trip on the island is always draining, and who really thought Texas was going to be down all season or that this was Nebraska's year?

Yes, Oklahoma looked like the number one team against Iowa State and Florida State, but let's not forget Cincy and Air Force; it might be a little too soon to anoint the Sooners king of the hill.

Wisconsin played one of the "toughest" games I've seen in a while. They knocked off the Buckeyes through strong line play and fundamentals. John Clay did not have an obscene ypc average, but he was always able to pick up his first downs and scratch out the yards he needed. No wonder he's got his O-line's numbers shaved in his head.

Speaking of Wisconsin, they are making Michigan State look tough right now. Now, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Michigan Wolverines. I'm not sure why, but they've always been my go-to outside the SEC team that I've been drawn to since I was a kid; I'd imagine it's a combination of the helmets, tradition, the fact their mascot shares their name with my favorite comic book character, and that I like the color blue. So, it's a big thing for me that I'm pulling for Sparty this year. I'd love to see them go undefeated, mainly because I like Mark Dantonio.

The Big East is bad.

The SEC East is the Somalia of football divisions.

The Big XII is...well, who gives a shit, their days are numbered anyway.

The FTS Halfway Heisman Ballot:

Cam Newton (Xerxes from 300? Anyone else?)
Denard Robinson
Kellen Moore

Number one for next week? Either the winner of Auburn-LSU or the Ducks in a holding pattern.

Lastly, I loved the Sunday night BCS show on ESPN. I hope its weekly and always just as honest.

1 comment:

  1. I have the exact same sentimental fanship for Michigan. Mostly because of Wolverine, bub.

    ReplyDelete