Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Calling Audibles

As the summer ends for us school folk, and media days wear down and summer football camps kick up, you know it's almost time - 36 days to be exact. I've blasted through the major conferences and big time schools, made some predictions, and started the preseason top-25. While I was stacking the poll, though, I noticed some things that worried me. So, in a last ditch effort for accuracy, I've changed my mind about a couple things. Here goes:

1. LSU will not win the SEC West, Alabama will...Ole Miss is still overrated. Why did I change to the Tide? Defense and schedule. The D will be one of the nation's best and Bama's bye between UT and LSU makes me feel that they'll be ready for the Tigers. Schedule-wise, Bama draws UK, UT and SoCar - games they should win - and LSU draws Georgia and Florida...back-to-back. It just seems more realistic to pick the Tide now.

2. While Georgia and Georgia Tech will have similar records at season's end, UGA will be higher ranked. I'm picking the Dawgs to beat the Jackets in ATL, meaning Tech will have a season-ending loss fresh on the voters' minds. Also, losing to Florida looks better than losing to Virginia Tech, and Tech plays at Virginia, which is like kryptonite to them.

3. It's a VERY realistic possibilty that Florida, despite being one of the best teams ever, will NOT play for the title. If 2 major BCS schools run the table and Florida has1 loss, the Gators would be shut out of contention. Who could do it? Texas, Oklahoma, Penn State, Ohio State, and/or USC. Rutgers could potentially be 12-0, too, but I think a 11-1 Florida team could nudge them out. Fortunately for the Gators, most of those teams will face each other throughout the season and UF would be the pick of the one-loss liter.

4. Boston College will finish behind NCState this season. QB Dominique Davis just transferred for academic reasons, which might continue the trend of spotty play behind the center from '08.

5. I'm still not sure if Boise State will beat Oregon, but I do know that a one-loss WAC team will not be in a BCS bowl.

So, there it is. I lined under center, didn't like the D and changed the play at the line. Don't judge me too harshly for it. Stay tuned for tomorrow; my preseason poll will be up in all of its glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment