Friday, January 15, 2010

Finally. It's settled.

Yes, we will be changing to a 3-4, and no, grandpa, it won't be that drastic.

At least we think it'll be a 3-4. But, Smart would've brought in the same system, and everybody loved him. And, while it's not as prestigious as the defending national champion, I'm Ok with it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: CHRIST, there are some haters on the message boards - most saying the 3-4 won't work here. Their main concern seems to be lack of size along the line, one even going so far as to say you need a Terrence Cody for it to work. Well, I'm calling BULLSHIT. Yes, size is important on the D-line and kids just aren't that big, but super-size is not a necessity. Having a Terrence Cody is a plus, but he'd be just as valuable to any base D as he is to a 3-4; he's a fuckin' behemoth. In reality you can work a successful 3-4 with non-mountain sized men, as long as the adjustments in the LB corp are successful, and that will be Grantham's biggest task. I doubt we see a lot of base, with OLB's on ends and ILB'd off the NT. No, I imagine we'll see more shifted LB's, with an OLB acting as anchor on the strong side and the ILB's playing gaps and the weak OLB playing out. Or, hopefully, aggressive schemes bringing noise from behind NT-DE loops and stunts. Now, I don't know what he's going to do for sure, I'm just saying it can work at Georgia. So, all you 4-3 lovers (which I am, too), calm down, take a step back, and breathe...
------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 2: BTW, I haven't watched a lot of Cowboy games, but I'd assume Grantham's been influenced by Wade Phillips (you know, the head fucking coach). Which means he's probably running the 'Phillips 3-4', which is a one-gap system. Which means you can stop fretting that we won't be big enough.

3 comments:

  1. As someone who has watched almost every Cowboys game this year I love that we are going to the 3-4. I think this means more playing time for our most athletic kids, which hopefully turns into more turnovers!

    I think it will be the much needed shake up our D needs.

    - LIVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with LTD, we were talking about this yesterday. Our LBs are almost always going to the NFL, so having more of them on the field is a good thing. I like the hire.

    ReplyDelete