Monday, January 4, 2010

From All Over: Bowl Games and Such

1. Here's a great Rose Bowl recap from Wayne, the Commandant of Uz-BUCK-istan. Read and laugh, children.
My favorite line:
"Terrelle Pryor looked like one of those blue cat-warriors from Avatar, but without the pussy-ass bow and arrows. No, he had a big blue dick cannon that fired jizzbullets of victory instead of his arm."

Ah, Orson Swindle, a hero for our time.

2. I thought Georgia won the Indy Bowl by, like, three or so scores, right? Apparently not.

3. I really hate the drawn out bowl season. I love that it starts in mid-December, but it should be wrapped up by NYD. I know they get the ratings with the current format; I'm not doubting the reasoning. I'm just stating a personal preference that I wish I had been able to watch the Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl and BCS Title Game before heading back to a regular work schedule. And, I hate that shit like the International Bowl can sneak into Jan. 2 and coaches can get "January Bowl Bonuses" for things like the Papajohns.com Bowl, but not the Chick-Fil-A or Holiday Bowl.

4. The Falcons ended their "worst in professional sports" streak of years without back-to-back winning seasons Sunday, defeating the Bucs 20-10 to finish up the season at 9-7. Great job, guys! That's honestly all I wanted this year, despite the playoff hype or haters hatin', 9-7 was all I wanted and I got it. Now, with that monkey off our back, we can try and move forward as a franchise.

5. Tennessee and South Carolina got straight owned in their bowls, Auburn and Arkansas went to OT with mediocre teams, and Kentucky got edged out by Clemson. Don't look now, homers, but we're getting more and more like the top-heavy PAC-10 of '02-'08: A powerhouse or two, great mid-level competitiveness and lots of 4-5 loss teams, all followed up with crapping the bowl bed. Of course, our get out of "overrated-ness" free card is still out there, as long as 'Bama rolls the Horns Thursday night. A 4th consecutive title will fend off the hoards for another season or so...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
UD: 6. Oh, and I totally forgot: Say goodbye to Rich Brooks. He's stepping down at Kentucky and passing the reins to the coach-in-waiting since '07, Joker Phillips. Brooks has done a great job UK, making the Wildcats relevant in the SEC - a thing even the great (sarcasm) Hal Mumme couldn't do. And, in the end, 'relevant' is probably the best the bluegrassers can expect, as I doubt we'll ever see a dynasty coming out of that region of the country again any time soon - on the gridiron, anyway. It's too cold and resource poor compared to the recruiting hotspots of Florida, Texas and Cali, too far away for the 4-star drop-offs from those states, an doesn't have a consistent base of home-growns like GA or LA. Working with what he had, Brooks did a more than commendable job, capping his run with 4-straight bowl seasons. I'd kinda like to see the Joker keep it up, even if it means putting Georgia on upset alert every other year.

No comments:

Post a Comment