Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Weekly Picks


Why even bother? I've had 2 straight 3-7 weeks. Apparently, I don't even watch football. A coked-up monkey could pick better, or an office-clerking Asian (looking at you, KTL). But, I am indomitable, relentless, persistent. I cannot be stopped...even from sucking. So, in the face of good sense and using time wisely, I let fly my picks like so many slings and arrows.

For the season, 53-34 (yikes!)
LW 3-7

Picks

Virginia Tech 24, Maryland 20 - I just don't trust the Terps. They have a good record, a couple impressive wins, but their losses are ridiculous and their season opening win was the stuff of mediocrity (14-7, Delaware). Tech's been pretty hit-or-miss, too, but I'll take them to be a little less erratic on Saturday.

Ohio State 31, Northwestern 17 - The Bucks are still a pretty good team and I think the Big-10's much improved this year, so they should be respected. The Wildcats are solid this season and their QB could change the meaning of "Kafka-esque (that's for you, moviegoer)" with his borderline Heisman numbers in a couple of games. Still, the Buckeyes should click again and roll the North Chicago Nerds.

Georgia Tech 24, UNC 16 - This was a tough one. I should just not pick ACC games, because I don't think I've picked one right all season. So, with a tinge of doubt, I pick the Jackets on the road over the Heels. Sigh.

Alabama 34, LSU 21 - I really wanted to pick the upset here. I mean, REALLY wanted to pick it. But, the Tide has withstood all three of my upset onslaughts I threw on them (UK, OM, UT) and I'm done tempting fate. If you count the UGA game, I've picked against them 4 times. And, as you can tell by their unblemished record, I've been wrong 4 times. So, no more. LSU has been blasted by UGA and UF and I think we can add Bama to the list.

Penn State 27, Iowa 26 - Nits on the road, against a Hawks' squad that loves to lose close ones, but win blowouts. Shon Green is a beast playing against young boys, but I think JoePa's gang shuts him down and get it done. Spread HD gets a late TD for the W.

Oklahoma St. 31, Texas Tech 30 - I think the Pokes will ruin the Raiders perfect run. I might be picking this out of desperation, though; I really want to see TT go down. Both of these teams feel like out of place upstarts, but OSU had the decency to lose to Texas when they had the chance. Here's to them out-Texas Teching Texas Tech.

USC 42, Cal 13 - I see this match-up and just see a big win for the Trojans. Cal's shaky at best and USC's looking to prove they have an offense to match that smothering D. Sanchez gets his groove back and the Bears go down in a big way.

Notre Dame 28, BC 13 - Wow - let's have a 'Who's More Catholic Contest.' BC has always felt a little like they were ND's little brother. But, then they went out, joined a conference, started playing competitive football and have the best bowl record of the last decade. None of that sounds like the Irish, who remain independent, play a soft schedule, and get trounced regularly in bowls they're unqualified for. All that aside, I see them beating a wishy-washy Eagles team on Chestnut Hill.

FSU 30, Clemson 16 - The Noles are a late fumble away from beating GA Tech. Their D is clicking, but the offense is playing in fits. However, I think they can pull it together long enough to beat the Fightin' Dabos.

Game of the Week - Thursday Night Special

Utah 23, TCU 21 - Last time I picked against the Horned Frogs, I paid for it with pride right here on this blog. KTL owned me that night, and I vowed never again. Yet, here I am, erring away from the logical to stick with my pre-season BCS buster. Go Utes!


Upset Alerts

These are not official picks, just games where I think the fave should stay sharp or suffer the upset. There are 2 Big East games and a surprising SEC game on the list.

Cincy over WVU

Vandy over Florida

Louisville over Pitt

PAT

Do yourself a favor and watch the N. Illinois/Ball State game. It might be the only time you get a real chance to see Nate Davis. He's a gamer who makes the game fun to watch and has his team ranked, undefeated, and a CMU-showdown away from getting to the MAC championship game.


Ball State 30, N.Ill. 14

No comments:

Post a Comment