Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Videogamer, Vol. II

It wasn't until Christmas that I became a complete videogame glutton by getting a 360 (mainly for the zombie action of Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead). I had been a strict Nintendo-ite until November of 2007 when I purchased a PS3. That decision opened the floodgates. I already had a DS; I bought a PSP last March. My 360 merely completed the next next gen circle.
So which system is the best?

Graphics and Audio: PS3 and XBox 360. The PS3 and 360 are virtually the same (despite the PS3's vaunted hardware superiority). Kudos to you if you can actually tell a difference. I can't. The Wii can't--and doesn't try to--compete.

Online play: XBox 360. I don't do the whole online game thing, but from what I've seen and read, XBox Live is far superior to the Playstation Network. Plus, XBox has the Halo franchise and a worthy successor in Gears of War. Metal Gear Online hasn't caught on like the extension of an established series should.

Exclusives: PS3. Gears of War and Halo are swell, but neither is Metal Gear Solid 4. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts isn't nearly as inventive as either Little Big Planet or the Ratchet and Clank series. Wii still has Mario, Metroid, and Zelda, but those three can't overcome the overwhelming glut of mini/party games and simulations.

Downloadables: XBox 360. The XBox Live Marketplace gets everything the Playstation Network gets earlier. Microsoft has inked an exclusive deal with Rockstar for Grand Theft Auto IV downloadable content. (Fallout 3's DLC is only available on 360 as well.) Special mention goes to the Wii's Virtual Console, which allows you to play games from Nintendo's gigantic back-catalog (as well as that of Sega and TurboGrafx-16).

Overall: XBox 360 (slightly). The 360 gets the nod for its online gaming (if that's your thing) and its online store. But you won't be disappointed with a PS3. If you prefer online gaming, go with a 360. Gamers longing for narrative/gameplay experience might prefer a PS3. Microsoft often seems afraid to stray from the Halo model, especially now that Bioshock has apparently gone multi-platform for its sequel. If you're longing for a second system, go with a Wii. It vastly differs from the virtually interchangeable 360 or the PS3.

2 comments:

  1. awesome break down.

    I never really thought there was that much difference bw the 360 and ps3. But I like the exclusives for the ps3 more, so that's why I went with it.

    More!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One reason I'm starting to dig my 360 is DLC. I guess charging a fee for your online community has enabled/forced Microsoft to up the ante.

    ReplyDelete