Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Videogamer, Vol. III

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin. For those who played the first F.E.A.R., know that the sequel's better. Less repetitious levels (though how many subways can I shoot my way out of?) and foes pick up the pace . The story may be less comprehensible, but it's told completely in-game; no cutscenes interrupt the flow. The single player campaign is predictably short, and I didn't partake in the multiplayer at all. But if you ever thought the only thing Call of Duty was missing was scares, F.E.A.R. 2 is for you. I jumped a couple of times, and I assure you that is a rarity. F.E.A.R. 2 is no more genre-changing than your run-of-the-mill action flick, but there's nothing wrong with running around, guns blazing, for 6-8 hours.

Flower. This PSN original may just be a variation on the old "fly through the rings" game, but the beautiful, peaceful atmosphere is truly one-of-a-kind. You never knew flowers had such lush inner lives until you take control of a petal. Floating on the wind, you bloom your brethren, adding soldiers to your petal army. Not that any fighting takes place. Still, Flower is fairly conventional for the increasingly non-traditional Sony Playstation Network exclusives. (If I ever understand what I'm doing in it, I'll discuss Noby Noby Boy.)

Next up: I'm hoping to give you the scoop on Wii's Deadly Creatures and House of the Dead: Overkill soon.

Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned (definitely worth $20)
Last Played: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed DLC (not worth $10)

2 comments:

  1. Nice post.

    Me? I'm going old-school and playing the backwards-compatible Star Wars Battlefront II on 360. The best part? SPACE COMBAT! There's no greater thrill than strapping into my TIE-Bomber and picking a giant Mon Calamari cruiser apart...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might want to borrow Battlefront II from you when you're done. I always wanted to play it.

    ReplyDelete