Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tomorrow!

Tomorrow is the start of College Football. I'm so pumped! I'm not sure if I'll be enjoying as much first-hand football as usual, but it doesn't matter. As long as I have a few TV's and the Internet, I'll get by. It's my favorite, and possibly the briefest, of all sports seasons, and the most glorious. God truly does love us. A nice, cool, overcast fall day; a grill smoking in the background, good friends and great beer; the anticipation of the game and the electricity in the air before kickoff...Oh, man, it's going to be sweet.

In the spirit of the approach of the football storm, I'd like to discuss a little more football points. To save posts, I'll do both college and pro together.

Florida State will not be 7-5 again. They'll actually be 8-4. Hey, it's an improvement.

Boston College will win another bowl game and Notre Dame will be greatly improved.*

* Of course, it would be almost impossible for The Irish to get worse. Their schedule is the softest piece of cheesecake I've seen this side of BCS consideration and if they win 9 games, they'll get an Orange Bowl nod. It's pathetic.

Tennessee needs to be careful in L.A. Last year was a debacle in Berkley and SEC teams don't do well out west. Which leads me to...Georgia better be careful in Phoenix. Arizona State is dangerous. Let's just hope their O-Line's as soft as it was against Texas last year.

Speaking of UCLA, they shouldn't have called out USC in the newspaper. They'll lose that game by 3 TD's and the Trojan linebackers will kick around Bruin QB heads like hacky-sacks before it's all done. Ivan Maisel is right: USC-UCLA is an overrated rivalry.

Still out west - Cal could be strong this year. Surprisingly strong.

Mark Schlabach said the Big 12 has better QB's than the NFC Central. They could also probably field an all-conference team that could beat the Atlanta Falcons.

In the Pros:

I need to change my power rankings, the NY Giants will not make the playoffs. Umenyiora is out for the year and Strahan finally decided to stay retired. Eli might be good, but it would have been the D that carried NY this year. Look for the Philadelphia Eagles to get the wild card instead.

Shawn Merriman is a badass.

That is all.

2 comments:

  1. So, I can't find any message to me on deadspin and as a result, I have no idea what you were babbling about at Allgood tonight.

    ReplyDelete