Tuesday, August 19, 2008

You Don't Have To Call Me Darlin'...


I'm a fan of all types of different music, but recently I've been on a country kick. Many people do not like country, but I think they're missing out on a passionate, poetic form of music. I don't mean newer, pop-country or these hack-ass, chop-less Nashville bred wannabes, either. I mean, great artists and powerful, painful expression. I did not discover country music until after high school, but I am the better for it and I think there's something in it for everyone. In the joaj34 tradition of lists, I am going to embrace my roots and my playlists and make a list of what I think are the 25 Greatest Country Music Songs of All Time. These will not be my favorites, but what I've judged to be the best ever, ranked from 1-25. Enjoy.

1. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - Hank Williams
2. He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones
3. Crazy - Patsy Cline
4. Mama Tried - Merle Haggard
5. Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
6. Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies (Grow Up To Be Cowboys) - Willie and Waylon
7. Your Cheating Heart - Hank Williams
8. Coal Miner's Daughter - Loretta Lynn
9. Walk The Line - Johnny Cash
10. Always On My Mind - Willie Nelson
11. Hello Darlin' - Conway Twitty
12. Stand By Your Man - Tammy Wynette
13. Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
14. Lovesick Blues - Hank Williams
15. Kaw Liga - This is a simple song, but it's been sung by everyone.
16. Pancho and Lefty - WIllie Nelson and Merle Haggard
17. Luckenbach, Texas - Willie and Waylon
18. Me and Bobby McGee - Written by Kris Kristofferson, but famous by Janis Joplin
19. Blue Moon of Kentucky - Bill Monroe
20. Blue Eyes Cryin' In The Rain - Willie Nelson
21. Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks
22. Okie From Muscogee - Merle Haggard
23. Walkin' After Midnight - Patsy Cline
24. Amarillo By Morning - George Strait
25. House of the Rising Sun - Everyone from Acuff to The Animals

Others considered:

Family Tradition - Hank Williams, Jr.
Delta Dawn - Made famous by Tanya Tucker, sang by many different folks, though
Will the Circle Be Unbroken - Carter Family, among others
Forever and Ever, Amen - Randy Travis
Fall to Pieces - Patsy Cline

5 comments:

  1. I like the list, but I've also got to make a few suggestions of my own. If I can, good sir.

    -Marty Robbins, 'El Paso'
    -Kenny Rogers, 'The Gambler' or maybe 'Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town'
    -Charlie Pride 'Kiss an Angel Good Morning'

    Other than that, spot on. I guess I could name a hundred songs I think should be on A LIST, but not necessarily Top 25!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the theme to College Gameday from Big & Rich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually almost included all of those. They'd def. be in a top-50 list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, good then. That makes me feel like my classic country chops aren't that far off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll reiterate: this is a damn fine list, good as any collection of music on the planet.

    ReplyDelete