Sunday, August 10, 2008

Another (revised) Look at the NFL


Well, there has been a shake-up of sorts in the NFL recently, and that got me rethinking my initial thoughts on what the top teams are heading into the 2008 season. If Favre had returned to Green Bay, I would have put them on the list, probably around five or six. However, he went to the Jets and I do not think they are top-10 material, even with the new, dramatic addition. The Packers, however, might still be top-10 caliber even without the old gunslinger at the helm. I also think I initially had the Eagles too high, put a lot of faith in the Saints and just kind of ignored the Vikings.

So, here’s a new list for the beginning of pre-season ball:

1. New England Patriots
No change here.

2. Indianapolis Colts
Peyton Manning will be the greatest QB of all time when he’s done in the NFL.

3. Dallas Cowboys
My pick to rep the NFC in the Super Bowl.

4. San Diego Chargers
I really hope I can get Ladanian in my fantasy draft…

5. New York Giants
Good luck with the Cowboys.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars
A good team, but it’ll be hard to knock off the Colts in Indy.

7. Pittsburgh Steelers
Division champs and always dangerous in the post season.

8. Seattle Seahawks
I wonder if they’ll actually be as good as their record will indicate?

9. Minnesota Vikings
Favre won’t be a problem when the Vikes play Green Bay anymore and there’s enough talent here to advance in the playoffs.

10. New Orleans Saints
I’m keeping them in it! But, the Eagles or Browns could take this spot just as easily.

I’m still keeping my Falcons in last place, but they’ll be challenged in futility by the recently gutted Dolphins. Oh yeah, Oakland will be pretty awful, too.

I would also like to clear up what I said about Cleveland in the earlier post. I think the Browns will be very improved and have a great deal of talent. I just do not think they will win their division and with the rest of their daunting schedule, they might not even make the playoffs (even though I have them picked to get the wild card over the Jets). So, while they might be a top-12 team, they will not be able to do much with it and a 10-6 record will not really be a surprise. I still think the 49’ers will be much improved, maybe like eight wins or so. I know that’s a shaky limb, but…

Here’s how it’ll shake out:

NFC East: Dallas
NY Giants – Wild Card
NFC North: Minnesota
Green Bay – Wild Card
NFC South: New Orleans
NFC West: Seattle

AFC East: New England
AFC North: Pittsburgh
Cleveland – Wild Card
AFC South: Indianapolis
Jacksonville – Wild Card
AFC West: San Diego

2 comments:

  1. As much as I like Peyton, I don't know that you can consider him No. 1 of all time. Tom Brady, man. Although, I have to admit, losing the Super Bowl this year dropped him right off the peda, er, pedestal (I almost couldn't spell pedestal, damnit), but he's still puh-retty effing amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said: "when he's done in the NFL". I didn't mean right now. Peyton will own all the records and probably have at least 2 SB's. And, he's just a smarter, crisper, decision maker who runs his offense as opposed to a guy whose coaches cheat for him.

    ReplyDelete