Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Looking at Conference and Division Champions

Last week, I did some out loud (in print?) thinking, trying to flesh out my top-12 or so teams for the preseason. Doing it this way helps me think everything through and nail down some specifics that are just floating around in my huge, huge brain. Today, we'll be looking at potential conference/division champions through the regular season. I won't be taking on the actual CG's in the leagues that have them, though.

SEC East - Florida, in a runaway. Georgia will be good and Tennessee will be improved, but no one can hang with the Gators unless Florida allows them to.

SEC West - LSU, edging past the Tide. I think Ole Miss is a bit overrated going into '09.

Big 10 - Ohio State takes it with a win over Penn State on 11/7. A lot of people are taking Iowa as a dark horse, but it seems like they play all the good teams on the road and they love to collapse late.

ACC Atl. - FSU, or maybe Clemson...or NC ST. Not sure yet. This is a tough division to pickl. The 'Noles could easily disappoint and Clemson has flopped too many times to be reliable. The Pack looks like a safe outside shot, but I've always had a soft spot for them since the Rivers days. So, we'll say it's too close to call right now.

ACC Cst. - VA Tech. Easy.

Pac-10 - USC. This is always the simplest conference to pick. Everyone plays everyone else and there's not really any competition for the Trojans at the top.

Big East - Maybe Rutgers, or....shit, I don't know. SoFla? I'd honestly like to pick Cincy here, but I'm just not brave enough to do it. Yet. We'll see at the end of the month.

Big 12 South - Texas. Many people are calling for Oklahoma to finish #2 overall, which is a defacto pick for them to beat Texas. What I don't see is how. Texas, who won this game last year, solidified from last season wile OU lost key starters, especially along the O-line. Of course it is a passionate rivalry that can go either way...

Big 12 North - Nebraska. I just don't see Kansas getting it done, but Colorado and Kansas State look much improved (and play easy schedules). No matter though; I'm taking the Huskers.

MWC - I'll take TCU. I think everyone picking BYU is in for a disappointment..that, and inhaling the fumes left from that controversial '84 title. Now, the Frogs might not go undefeated or make the BCS (at BYU, hosting Utah late - both tough), but they will be a very good team with more talent overall than any team coming from the WAC or CUSA.

Speaking of:

WAC - Boise State by a longshot. The Broncos could be undefeated and go BCS busting again - whether they're better than a 1 or 2 loss team form the MWC or not.

CUSA - East - SoMiss. This is one of the easier picks for me right now. Lots of returning starters, building off of a bowl win, etc.

CUSA - West - SMU - psych! Seriously, I like Houston here, but Tulsa might repeat. A lot of people are making noise for UTEP, but I'm not sure if they can actually do it. Of course, they do have Mike "Roll Tide" Price at the helm...

MAC West - I'll take Dan LeFevour and Central Michigan again this season. Nobody saw Ball State coming last season and I honestly do not think there will be back-to-back surprise teams in this division. That said, though, the Chips do have to play rival W. Michigan on the road and the Broncs were very good (by MAC standards anyway) last season.

MAC East - I don't know. I honestly just don't know much about this division or any of the players or teams in it besides Buffalo. The Buffs were very lucky last season and I don't see them wining it again. No, for this division, I had to do some homework. And, this is the best I came up with: Kent St. or Bowling Green. Why? OL and starters returning for the Zips and faith in a the new coach for the Falcons. This will be a toss-up until final predictions.

Sun Belt - Troy...I guess. The Owls of FA can compete (relatively) and UL-L had a fun run last season, but I have to give it to the men of little-t troy.

Remember: This is only a working draft of picks (Obviously), but I should have it hammered out along with a finalized top-25 by the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment