Thursday, June 11, 2009

What happened to patient 67?

I saw this trailer for Scorsese's new movie today and I have to say that I'm intrigued. This clip seems even more apropos since The Moviegoer and I were actually just discussing Dennis Lehane today. That, and I just discovered The Wire on DVD, and Lehane wrote a few episodes. I enjoyed both the Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone adaptations, but must admit I've never actually read any of the author's original material. Shutter Island looks more like a Gothic horror tale than his usual depressing, "value-of-life", Boston-based mysteries. Honestly, it seems a bit atypical for ol' Marty boy to direct as well, but it's got Leo and his fake Southie accent, has a hint of Lovecraft and looks sufficiently creepy and entertaining. Check it out:

3 comments:

  1. I own most of the Dennis Lehane books, but I, too, have never read them. 'Mystic River' and 'Gone, Baby, Gone' are still too close in my mind to read them, and I just haven't had the heart to pick the others up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My real question is why is the book titled Gone, Baby, Gone, but the movie is simply Gone Baby Gone. Did the commas disturb test audiences?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shutter Island looks awesome. It's like Scorsese directing Silent Hill.

    ReplyDelete