Monday, June 22, 2009

NCAA '10 Demo - C-a-S is BACK!


I downloaded the demo for the newest installment of EA Sport's NCAA football franchise yesterday and gave it a play. Seeing as how you can only play a shortened version of a rematch between last year's BCS game, I chose Florida and got ready for 8 minutes of football [4 of which I knew would be terrible since the computer goes into urgent,quick-time, hurry-up mode at the actual 2-minute mark (which would translate into a real coach calling Hail Marys around the 8-minute mark of the second quarter), thereby ruining some of the experience] but was met with a new feature right off the bat. Did you follow all that? Good.

So, the new feature. You get to select at kick-offs, time outs, whatevers, how you want your team to play: Aggressive, Normal, or Conservative. You can choose to simply pick one option for the entire team, or choose specific aspects of the game. For instance, aggressive blocking leads to longer blocks, but more holding calls, aggressive running style could break a big play but lead to more fumbles, and so on. It seems cool - for now. But it could be one of those game gimmicks (game-icks?) that really doesn't amount to much down the line, after a season or two's worth of Dynasty play. I never seemed to choose correctly when it came to line play, because the Sooners were digging around in Tebow's pockets right after the snap and Bradford, er, I mean, QB 14 had more time to throw than even Peter Jackson could justify. I hung on to win, however, 17-10 and then explored the rest of the main menu where they tout the new and improved aspects of the game...and this is where I got really excited. There's a feature called "Team Builder" and that floored me as I was always a fan of the "Create-a-School" feature. I used it religiously and wondered why it had disappeared from the franchise, especially since we're getting more powerful consoles and deeper Internet interplay. Well, IT'S BACK!! And, better than ever, mofos.

You get to design your team online, via your computer, not the console, and even upload your OWN LOGOS! No more having to select from the Red Bull infused, Ed Hardy like, shit generic logos EA has. You can design (or rip off the net) whatever floats your boat and incorporate it however you see fit into your uniform and field design. Since discovering this, I've been at it almost non-stop. I couldn't even pull myself away from designing Hillman College's football team (The Cosby Show) while the property manager fixed my bathroom sink. Check it out, get designing, and I'll see you and whatever team you create on the gridiron sometime next month!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Anderson University Coyotes are ready for some football:


Yes. Yes, it is a shamelessly stolen and paintbrushed Phoenix logo with a circle added to represent a full moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment