Saturday, July 10, 2010

"The Decision"

I know that we don't talk about "hoops" that much on FTS but the last couple of days has really got me thinking. Before we continue, understand that my opinions are based on an NBA fan from '85 to '98 (the glory days of basketball). The NBA hasn't been talked about this much at this time of year since Shaq went to the Lakers. I think that this is a good thing, however, from Wednesday to today my feelings on the situation have gone back and forth a lot.

Just like everyone else, I was waiting and wondering, checking the ticker. Although I thought there was NO way he was leaving Cleveland, it was a fun pastime. Then I saw Wade and Bosh went to Miami. No big deal, I figured that would happen. Then I saw that LBJ was holding a 1 hour special on ESPN to announce what he was going to do. Really? A little more ego-maniacal than I thought he was but whatever. And then I saw that the $ collected through the sponsors was going to the Boys & Girls club; ok I can get behind that.

So the show starts and, by the way, does Stuart Scott suck at life or what? The LeBron strokefest begins, but what else is it really supposed to be? I had been hearing all day that he was leaning towards the Heat and it just made me think of the Celtics a couple of years ago. A good idea that paid off for some older dudes trying to get their "ring". But while watching the show I began to feel myself dislike LBJ more by the second. He was smug and just seemed like an unfeeling robot to me. I assume that I would be this way if everyone in my entire life was on my nutsac all of the time, but I thought he was different; someone worth looking up to for more reasons than just insane b-ball skills. Wrong. Yes, he is going to take less cash but doesn't the FL no state income tax just about make up for that? I also know that athletes are villanized for taking the money when they should want to play to win it all (I'm looking at you Joe Johnson). What really did it for me was when he said, "Who knows, maybe we can find the next LeBron in the Boys & Girls club." Really? Could we be so lucky? Then I turned it off before Stu Scott could bob on him any longer.

I want them to fail and fail miserably. Why you might ask since I proclaimed myself an NBA fan? Because they aren't really taking less money and if they don't win at least 3 titles in 6 years it will be a failure. With that said, I think this is great for the NBA. I for one will be rooting against them every night. Oh yeah, the intro they had last night was RE-diculous. Why didn't Trick Daddy come out and perform too? I know I sound angry but I am happy about one thing, none of these guys will EVER be like Mike, Magic, Bird, Sir Charles, 'Nique, etc. My childhood stars will shine brighter alone than these guys ever will together.

3 comments:

  1. There were paragraphs and indentions on the post when I was writing it. Damnit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I edited it a bit - put in paragraphs, breaks, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have fixed feelings about "the decision". yes, over-hyped, but i give credit to lebron for foregoing more money (knicks and cavs) and wanting rings.

    the cavs had their chance of trying to keep him. if they really wanted him to stay, don't wait till his free agency year to make your moves. they waited too long and didn't make enough moves. the cavs had it coming.

    as to whether i'll be rooting for him. meh. i never really have, so i don't plan on hating or rooting for him in the future.

    he's an amazing athelete, but he's no jordan. jordan elevated everyone around him and was a defensive master. the ultimate leader on the court. lebron has a long way to go, to reach that sort of level.

    that's about it. and i still hate the celtics.

    ReplyDelete