Thursday, July 15, 2010

No More 2-a-Days for the Dawgs

Richt has decided to drop two-a-days for the upcoming practice schedule beginning on July 31. And, as the ajc points out, it might not be the Bear's brand of football, but it's the next logical extension of the cutting back on preseason practices that has already happened the last decade. I think this is a good call. With more practice you might get tougher, but with one-a-day you have more opportunities for training and learning, which seems crucial to implementing a new defensive system, kickoff philosophy, and a QB learning the offense.

Ivan Maisel echos that support in today's Three=Point Stance:

Georgia coach Mark Richt’s decision to drop two-a-days is a victory for practicality over tradition. Richt believes that he can accomplish more by practicing and teaching than by instilling the toughness that two-a-days instill. Whether two-a-days make players tough or are just done because they’ve always been done is a question for others to answer. If Georgia stays healthier and plays well this season, two-a-days may go the way ationof the I form.

The only thing I take exception to in that quote is the last line. I'll have you know, Mr. Maisel, that the Coyotes of Anderson University ran the I-form all the way to back-to-back National Titles in 2019 and 2020, sir.





4 comments:

  1. The Coyotes are so tuff. Go Pack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight... we play Bingville. Tonight... we BEAT Bingville!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to agree about two-a-days. All I learned during those fucking things was how to puke up spaghetti the boosters had no business serving the players in July.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the I-formation on that game. The best part is running it, telling whoever I playing against I am going to run it and still they can't stop it. That is what the I is all about. It is what make HW's records so amazing. Everyone knew he was getting the ball on just about every play and for 3 years very few could even slow it down.

    ReplyDelete