Tuesday, December 23, 2008

All I Want For Christmas...Poinsettias!!!

Well, my family is celebrating Christmas tonight. 3 hours away in the middle of nowhere. Now, while I am excited to see my sister's new house and be around her and her new family, I'm dreading the awkwardness that always comes with holidays. If I had to guess, my dad will flat out refuse to come and we'll all pretend that's normal and all the kids will run around and make noise, which is fine, but in the background, amongst all the chaos, I'll be getting chided for my intellectual and political views.

(Evolution is real, folks - Merry Christmas)

Also, I get to drive back in the middle of the night and spend the actual holidays alone (which is what China Wok Restaurant is for!).

And you know what? All that's fine. Everyone has their fucked up family holidays. I'm used to mine and my brother, sister and mom do make a wonderful holiday. We all love each other and support each other and it will be a great experience, regardless of emotional or alcoholic chicanery. I almost wouldn't have it any other way - we wouldn't know what to do with a "normal" holiday.

But, did you notice what's missing? That's right: football.

Tonight is the best non-BCS match-up and I'll be missing it. No one in my family cares about football. I'm the anomaly and to ask if we can have it on, maybe just in another room, is the most mortal of all sins. Maybe if it were NASCAR or some lame-ass princess/high-school musical/camp/animated/G-rated pile of shit, it could be on. But football? No.

We stopped exchanging gifts a few years since we're all so old now. Everyone just focuses on the kids and i think that's great as the joy of a child on Christmas is magical. But, the joy of a prime time match-up this early is miraculous. Maybe I can get there early and trick my sister in to adding a new holiday tradition....

Well, I hope everyone out there has a wonderful holiday season, whatever you believe or wherever you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment