Monday, December 15, 2008

AU-ful...

Sorry, it's taken me a few days to collect myself over the coaching nightmare from which I still hope to wake. Gene Chizik? Really? Honestly, he was the only candidate I didn't want at all. I've been reading the articles (I agree wholeheartedly with everything Charles Barkley said), columns, and blogs, as I try to come to terms with what I'm afraid is a program-crippling hire. I'm terrified. (I'm also giddily excited. As football fans, we are nothing if not delusional. So why not believe that next year could hold undefeated glory and upsets galore?)

Even if Chizik turns out to be the second coming of Pat Dye (who, I read, is a big fan of the hardnosed new coach), I'll never understand Jay Jacobs thought process in the hiring. So you think Mike Leach's system won't be successful in the SEC. It still won 11 games in the Big XII, including wins over TX and OK State. Iowa State was winless in the Big XII North without playing TX, OK, or TX Tech. Why am I to believe winless Chizik will be more successful than crazy winner Leach? Because Chizik likes to run the ball? Not good enough.

Now let's address Turner Gill. (The following logic can also be applied to Brady Hoke or Todd Graham.) Buffalo is in the MAC, which isn't the SEC. Gotcha. We wanted someone with SEC experience. Does Chizik's brief stint at Auburn really qualify? Apologists also keep saying it's tough to win at Iowa State, and they're right.The question is which place is harder to win at? Buffalo or Ames? Is it any easier to win at Buffalo? Who knows? But at least Gill did win.

Finally, Chizik hailed his return to the Plains as his dream. He claimed he'd always loved Auburn and wanted to return. Then why did he ever leave?

5 comments:

  1. I gotta be honest in saying that I didn't even know who Gene Chizik was, so...[shrugs]. His record at Iowa State was pitiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question:

    Is it beeter win in the MAC or lose in the big-XII?

    I guess we know where Auburn stands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a skeeter on my beeter, get him off...There's a - okay, you get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am more disappointed than anything. I, as many AU fans did, followed this coaching search religiously for 10 days. When Gene Chizik was mentioned as a candidate, my honest response was - "Please don't hire Gene Chizik." For all the excitement that the search brought to my boring life, selecting Gene Chizik was a bigger letdown than buying some chick drinks all night at the bar only to take her home and find out she is on the rag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely put, Ben. The hiring of Chizik is definately worhty of a "heavy flow" pad.

    ReplyDelete