Sunday, August 15, 2010

Conference (not really) Blast 10 - The Other Guys

Well, it's time to close out the 2010 Conference Blasts. We'll end with the "potpourri" category of non-BCS and independents. I didn't want to spend my time ranking the non-BCS conferences, so I just considered the rest of the remaining teams all together and pulled out the ones I saw having the most success in the upcoming season. So, who will be the best non-BCS/independent/mid-majors in 2010? Here's my list:


Houston - Keenum's going to have SICK numbers and the Cougars will have 2 chances to beat BCS teams: UCLA and Miss. St. If they win those games and avoid the mental collapses that cost them last season, they could be BCS Busting.

Boise State - They will run through the WAC mostly unchallenged...but I'm not sold on all the National Title talk. Look for VA Tech to put them in their proper place early.

TCU - Deja vu?

Notre Dame - Ugh. I get so tired of the Irish. I do, however, like Brian Kelly and would like to see him do well. And, while ND's record might not be as good as some of the others on this list, they have more talent than anyone else here.

Utah - A step down in 2010...but not too far. Pitt's a tough non-conf game and TCU should be more than the Utes can handle.

Air Force - I like their style and they know how to hurry a kick team on the field. Les Miles should take notes.

Nevada - 10 wins would not surprise me for the Wolfpack in 2010 and they're the reason I used the qualifier "mostly" in describing Boise State's predicted run through the WAC. I'm looking forward to the Friday night face-off to decide the conference on Nov. 26.

Navy - Obligatory. But, will they beat Notre Dame again?

BYU - Because it wouldn't be a Best of the Non-BCS without the only one to win a modern national title.

Temple - It felt as odd writing this as it does for you reading it. And it gets worse: 10 wins? A distinct possibilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment