Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Good (Maybe, I hope) News (about the UT game)...


Sometimes I'm one of those fans who frets over simple games. I call it being careful and managing expectations, others call it being a pussy. Maybe so, but I guess I actually learned something from the UAB fiasco and the West Virginia loss. That said, I have some real concerns going into Saturday's game against Tennessee. The Vols need a spark to turn things around, save their season, and maybe even their coach. They've historically had Georgia's number the last couple of decades, too. Also, Georgia's not the best team at getting pumped up, or staying focused, and if the 'Bama game's an indicator, completely lacks fundamentals and discipline. So, to me, it is not out of the realm of possibilities for UT to come into ATH and drop us.

But there are some things that have helped assuage my fears. First, Brannan Southerlands is back. It will be nice to have an experienced senior on the field who has been integral to UGA's success the last few years. He's key in the goal line and utilized in a multiple of ways in our offensive schemes. Big plus. God, if we could get Sturdivant back...

Secondly, check this out from Chris Low at ESPN. Apparently David Cutcliffe was a key spark for the Vols success against Georgia. Not just the last two blow out years, but even the long stretch through the 90's where Georgia looked like simple Jack banging his head against a storm grate. And, if you look at the records, it wasn't just Georgia's number he had.

Cutcliffe is gone again, now. He spent years making Fulmer look like genius, and now he's at Duke laying goose eggs. We can't say it was all Cutcliffe. Some years, it was just Georgia being as pumped up to play as a 97 year-old nursing home patient on dialysis (see '07 and 98, both in ATH). But, he was definitely a factor in the Vols success and UGA's apparent ineptitude.
There's also a couple suspended Tenn linemen, but one's a backup and the other hasn't ever played.

These things bode well for us. I'm not saying I don't have worries. It's still the SEC and it's still Tennessee. And, penalties, turnovers, weak lines and undisciplined play will cost you games anywhere. All I'm saying is that now I see that our favorite-status is not ridiculously unmerited and that maybe, just maybe, we can win this thing.

Also, Tennessee is apparently at the "edge of the world."

3 comments:

  1. God, I hope so. I've been talking so much shit about Tennesse lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and it took a second read to catch the Tropic Thunder reference. I'm exhausted, man.

    What's the plan for Saturday so far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slash [in Rolling Stone]

    Has the huge success of Guitar Hero boosted your rep even further?

    Yeah, but the flip-side of that is I met this kid who came up to me and was blown away by the fact I was the guy in the Guitar Hero game, and he kept going on about that. Ten minutes later he goes, “Do you play real guitar?”

    ReplyDelete