Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Weekly Picks

Why should I even bother making picks after the BYU-TCU debacle? Why? Because I don't give up, that's why. I mean, I've fallen from 1st to 8th in my pick 'em league and I haven't stopped picking. And, when the second quarter's all blurry and I can't tell what color my own team is wearing, and I mix up team rankings with the score, I keep on drinking. I'm persistent.

Season: 47-20
Last Week: 7-3
Against KTL: A big, fat goose-egg, embarrassingly laid, MWC style, last Thursday

But, in the spirit of getting back on the horse, here's my ten picks for the week:

Picks:

Kansas 42, Texas Tech 40 - I just think it's finally time for the Raiders to go down. I have them ranked fairly high, but that's only because of the defenseless clusterfuck that the Big 12 has become. They don't have a signature win and Kansas has played well in two losses to ranked teams. I think the Jayhawks get over and the Red Raiders get beat.

Florida 31, Kentucky 13 - The Gators might be looking ahead to the Cocktail Party, but I think they'll do fine this week against a scrappy set of wildcats with a good coach, good record, and no respect. It'll be 21-13 late, but Pope Urban will run it up in the last few minutes.

Texas 41, OK St. 31 - I don't think OK St. is as good as they're ranked, but they vaulted up after beating #3 Mizz who now has 2 losses. This game will be the crucible that sets us straight on the Big-12 South. Colt McCoy is playing better than anyone, but this is the defense that shut down Chase Daniel. However, Texas has a better D than the Tigers and they have Jordan Shipley...and Quan Cosby...and, most importantly, Brian Orakpo. I take the Horns with a score that's en vogue for the region.

Georgia 26, LSU 20 - Fanboy? Yes. But, I also think it's a realistic pick given that we avoided the Red Stick, Night Game, Death Trap. Will Les Miles have tricks in his hat? Yes. But, Richt has Jesus on his shoulder and Knowshon on his roster. If the freshmen up front can let Moreno get outside, he could get the D's attention early, opening up the opportunity for Stafford and AJ Green to hook up late for the go ahead score.

Crap-Shoots: These are the toughest games for me to call this week.

Auburn 21, WVU 20 (Thu.) -I have no way of calling this. I like White and Devine going wild on the Tigers, but I also like the old-school, brick-wall, fire-blanket mentality of Auburn's defense. If AU's offense can somehow hobble to 14 points, I see the D getting the last TD to win the game.

VA Tech 24, FSU 20 - The Noles are back! Yeah! They beat NC St. Remember? That totally means they're back. I mean, Bowden's coaching with telepathy for fuck's sake. You know..because he doesn't where a headset anymore, but he's still coaching. Right?

GA Tech 27, UVA 13 -Virginia was left for dead a few weeks in, but have gone on a 3-game tear. The Jackets are only 3 points away from undefeated and have an offense clicking again under it's starting QB. But, this is the ACC, so what does any of this fucking matter? Virginia could win 44-0 and it would just be more of the same.

Southern Ivies Bowl:

Vandy 24, Duke 10 -These kids exemplify student-athlete. But, I think the Commodores will be more athlete and less student this Saturday, rolling the Devils in Nashville.

Game of the Week:

Ohio State 31, Penn St. 30 - Terrelle Pryor is a great athlete. But, he's young. Still, he's taken control of this team and can recover from his mistakes with electrifying athleticism. For Penn State, Daryll Clark has experience and decision making skills that keep the Lions in control. And, if he has a bad day, there's always Evan Royster to pick up the slack offensively. However, the Bucks have Beanie. And, they're in the 'Shoe. I think it'll be fun and it'll be close, but it'll be Buckeyes when it's all said and done.

Upset Alert:

Tenn 27, Bama 24 - I have nothing to base this on other than a gut feeling. Tennessee is completely out-gunned by this physical 'Bama team, but Cody's out and UT can play some decent second half ball. Maybe it's enough. Maybe Nick Saban will be driven insane by the 109th time 'Rocky Top' rains upon him. Maybe Bama will win by 40.

Look out:

Who else should be on upset alert? Missouri should be careful Saturday night, playing host to a seemingly always pissed off Colorado Buffs team. I mean, Hawkins benched his own son last week. They could be fueled for a good game and Missouri could be just pissy enough to fall into the trap. Also, Pitt's at home against a comfortingly shitty Rutgers team. Maybe it's too much of a return to normalcy. Don't sleep on Schiano...

1 comment: