Monday, October 20, 2008

Monday Night QB

So, Rich Rodriguez is like Hitler, and....wait....what? What the fuck was Lou Holtz talking about?!? Time to roll out the podium...

Moving On.

Texas looks like a very powerful team, but I'm beginning to doubt the defense in the Big-12. Will Muschamp says there's no problem, and that the teams in his old stomping ground, the SEC, might be overrated. I don't know about that. To his credit, they held Chase Daniel and Mizz to absolutely nothing until they had built a 5 score lead. And, when Mizz finally found the endzone, Muschamp looked like he was going to blow a gasket. I would just be worried if the Horns faced a big D. I'm not saying they'd lose, I'm just saying I'd be worried they'd struggle a little more.

Big-12: Will teams like Texas Tech and Oklahoma State be able to keep up their success throughout the season? Surely not. I think Texas Tech is overrated, even by me when you see my top-25, and State's win over Mizz looks less impressive by the week.

Now for the SEC. There really is not that much offense here. That's why it's easy for us to talk about strong D - the O here sucks. There's only one top-50 offensive program (UGA) and Auburn might have the worst in the nation. I guess we'll see how things shake out.

This all begs the question: What will the Cotton Bowl look like? Fun, I hope.

I still think Florida should be ranked higher than Oklahoma, though. USC should be higher than the Sooners, as well.

Also, why is Florida so low in the BCS?

I think Penn State is good. They were a little off early against Michigan, but that's more indicative of emotion/mind-set than talent (see UGA-SoCar). Two weeks ago, I would have said they were the best team in the Big-10. But look who's here, now: a new and improved Ohio State. With Pryor finally comfortable and confident at the helm, this looks like a whole new team. They might even be able to score twice against USC, now. I hate to ascribe it all to one player, but Pryor is a gamer, a leader, and an extreme talent already. He told Tressell to bench him if he couldn't produce, and produce he did. There's no doubt this is his team and this match-up with Penn State is HUGE. Try not to look at it with any anti-Big-10 bias and enjoy it. These are two good teams and it should be fun. That said, it'll probably be a blowout.

Who's better? Utah or Boise State? They're the only undefeated BSC busters left and they won't play each other in the regular season. Only one can make it to the 10-team dance, too. I think the safe bet is Boise State. Utah still has a game with tough, physical #15 TCU and the in-state, Holy War with #18 BYU. Boise State has already won it's toughest challenge, at Oregon, and the only real tough spot left is Fresno State to end the season. It's the easier of the two roads.

Look at Huston Nutt! Knocked off Florida and tried to get Alabama. They said taking the Rebels and the points was a sure thing...I guess they were right for once. You know what wasn't a sure thing? BYU last Thursday. Sad, just sad.

Speaking of Alabama, if they can handle the atmosphere in Baton Rouge, they could easily be undefeated. But, how important is Terrance Cody. He was a pivot-point in the first half blowout at Georgia and is just a monster who controls space and time on the line. He'll be tough to play without.

Georgia is now dead last in penalties. Does that make them a bad team? No. Most of the bottom teams in that stat are ranked teams with good records. Will it make hard to beat LSU and UF back to back? You bet your ass it will.

I know Pitt beat SoFla, but I still think the Bulls are better. They're my pick to win the Big East still. Pitt will stumble somewhere down the line, someone will be able to lock down McCoy and someone will out stache Wannstadt. You know who's still out there? West Virginia. Pat White should never be overlooked.

How many points will Tulsa score this season? Should they be on the BCS-Buster watch list? Should Ball State?

What's going to happen in the ACC? Who knows? It's a crap shoot, but I guess I'd go with BC, GT or FSU at this point. You'll get a definite prediction later this week.

Stay tuned this week for conference, early bowl predictions/projections.

The top-25 will follow shortly. KTL, if you're man enough, you can post your top-25 as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment