Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thursday Night Picks

Tonight, Clemson and Wake play for the title of "best team who was supposed to win the ACC but will finish up limping to a bowl." Hold on everybody, but the protractors, T-squares, and calculators have spoken, and your two new front runners are Tech schools, namely of the Virginia and Georgia variety.

There are some big showdowns this week, from Dallas to Madison to Gainesville. By the time the afternoon games kick-off, we'll know who holds the lead in the Big-12. Florida could go a long way to prove they're back to form and LSU could move into the top-3 with that showdown against 'Bama looming large next month. The Badgers need a win to stop their skid, but the high flying Lions might be too much to handle. With solid under-cards sprinkled throughout the day, this Saturday should be a good one.

On to the Picks:

Tonight's ACC showdown:

Clemson 27, Wake 21 - I guess. It really comes down to which of these teams shows up. It's in WS, but the Tigers have some anger pent up after the Maryland loss.

Saturday:

Michigan State 24, Northwestern 21 - A good game between two under-rated teams

Notre Dame 31, North Carolina 21 - The Irish will win this game, but I really wish they wouldn't. Why do I think they'll win? Because I want them to lose and it never happens that way. I dread Lou Holtz's shit after this one.

USC 35, ASU 16 - The Trojans bounced back in impressive fashion, rolling the Ducks. The Devils haven't matched the hype (surprise, surprise). It'll be a big win for SoCal.

Georgia 24, Tennessee 17 - The Vols are awful, with no QB and no run game; the coaches are floundering and AR's speaking Pterodactyl. They will click sometime this season, though, and I think it'll be this game in ATH. Richt has finally bitched about penalties this week at practice - let's see if it makes a difference.

Missouri 45, OK St. 31 - The Tigers roll, but the Pokes O makes it a fun fireworks show.

Oregon 37, UCLA 17 - The Ducks will regroup after their p'wnage at USC. No better opponent than the hapless Bruins to beat up on, either. Where's Wazzou on the schedule again?...


Games of the Week:

Oklahoma 31, Texas 20 - The Sooners will handle Colt and the 'Horns. Bradford, Murray and Iglesias will have a big day against the Texas D. McCoy will be competitive and the 'Horns will hang around for a while, but the Sooners are just too much.

Florida 23, LSU 19 - I don't know why, but I think the Gators have this one. LSU's D line is nasty tuff, but I feel Tebow and porcelain doll Harvin will do just enough. If the running backs come to play, they should ice it for UF.

Penn State 28, Wisconsin 21 - I just think JoePa and JayPa have been too good this year. If Royster keeps up the tough play and the rest of Spread HD clicks, the Lions could escape with a win. I've gone back and forth on this one, so maybe I'm way off. The Badgers might be so pissed from the last two losses they blast PSU, but it's doubtful.

Have a good weekend.

May I also recommend mixing Bud Light Lime and Orange Juice together for those early morning tailgates? I discovered it when I was sick before the Central Michigan-UGA game and it was delicious. It has become a staple with Jinx, The Moviegoer and myself.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Penalties are killing us, man. I don't know. One of the first things I learned in football was to avoid hitting the quarterback late. It's not rocket science.

    UGA players are playing quarterback roulette, chancing the timing, like, "Can I hit QB1 at the split second where a flag wouldn't be thrown?"

    Our on-field conduct is abysmal this season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering the coaching change (and your infamous hatred of
    Petty-rino) What's your call on AU-ARK?

    ReplyDelete