Thursday, October 23, 2008

Half-Way (Kinda) Reflections and Predictions (Sorta)

It's been another crazy ride this season. We saw 3 of the top 4 teams lose two weeks in a row. We've seen the Big-12 challenge the SEC, the PAC-10 disappear, and the Big-10 comeback. Colt McCoy is Heisman front runner and Alabama and Penn State are near the top again.

Let's look at some random stuff:

Conference Calls

Big East:

My preseason pick - WVU. Lost to ECU, lost their direction, lost their edge, etc.

New Pick - SoFla. Pitt falls somewhere (maybe Rutgers on Sat.) and the Bulls stay steady to claim the crown.

Big-12:

My Preseason picks - Oklahoma vs. Missouri. Sooners are still in a great spot and I don't see anyone else in the North having a better record than the Tigers.

New Picks - Texas vs. Missouri; Texas wins

The ACC:

My preseason pick - Wake Forest vs. Virginia Tech. Riley Skinner fell off a touch and the offense looks anemic at best. VA Tech still has a shot...if they can knock off FSU and regain their footing.

New pick - I have no idea...maybe BC or FSU? Vs. Georgia Tech or still VA Tech? Who knows. This conference is brain numbing.

I'll go with a GA Tech vs. BC rematch.

Big-10

My preseason pick - Ohio State. The wheels came off at USC (surprise, surprise), but Pryor has come on and I think they'll rebound. This week's game with Penn St. is for the conference titles.

New Pick - None - I'm staying with the Buckeyes. See weekly picks for reasoning.

PAC-10

Really? Do I even need to write this. It's Washington State, obviously.

SEC

Preseason pick - Florida vs. Auburn. The Gators are back on track, but Auburn's a long way from home with no offense and all the soap opera drama that's happened on the plains.

New pick - Georgia vs. Alabama rematch. I'll take the Dawgs in JAX and Bama to win the West. Georgia wins the rematch in ATL.

MWC

Preseason pick - Utah. Utes still rolling baby!

New pick - I'd like to say I've learned my lesson and take the Horned Frogs of TCU...but, I'm sticking with the girl who brung me. Go Utah!

Other stuff:

CUSA - Tulsa over ECU

MAC - Ball State/CMU winner over Akron

WAC - Boise St. - Broncos go BCS bustin'

SB - On a limb, I'll say the Ragin' Cajuns of UL-L

Notre Dame goes bowling...probably in over-matched style, in a game they don't belong

Heisman:

1. Colt McCoy wins over:

2. Sam Bradford
3. Javon Ringer
4. Tim Tebow
5. Mark Sanchez or Knowshon Moreno

Bowls:

BCS Title - Texas vs. Ohio State (It's gonna happen again...)
Sugar - Georgia vs. Boise St. (Why does the WAC end up here?)
Orange - BC vs. SoFla
Fiesta - Oklahoma vs. Alabama
Rose - Penn State vs. USC

Other bowls:
Cotton -LSU - Missouri
Cap1 - Florida vs. Mich St.
Gator - VA Tech vs. Notre Dame
Outback - Minn. vs. SoCar
Sun - Oregon vs. Kansas

That's where I'm at right now. Things will change, teams will lose, and these predictions will become useless (I guess they already are, technically, since I have no bearing on anything).

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the game tonight...about 4 minutes left in the first and Auburn looks like it has a real offense - wonder where they stole it from.

4 comments:

  1. I'm gonna go with Penn State in the Big-10. I think they're much better than Ohio State and will prove it this weekend.

    Also, I have a great idea for a story collaboration on Writers Cafe. I just realized today that you had joined!

    My word verification is sicies. Looks like a real word, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I like the new name change as well! It's better than...wait, what was it called before? The Sideliner?

    Anyway, if you re-re-name it, you should call it "Riding the (Georgia) Pine".

    Away Game Tailgate this weekend? Eh? I've got the stuff to make Beer-itas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're right - but because I want them to beat OSU, I feel they won't. I basically picked against my desires. I think PSU's a better team, but I feel they'll fuck it up Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoever they stole that offense from must have taken it back at the half. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete