Thursday, December 31, 2009

Best of 00's...Books

Let's get literary up in here.
  1. The Hank Thompson Trilogy: Caught Stealing, Six Bad Things, A Dangerous Man; Charlie Huston 
  2. The Joe Pitt Casebooks: Already Dead, No Dominion, Half the Blood of Brooklyn, Every Last Drop, My Dead Body; Charlie Huston
  3. The Lost, Jack Ketchum
  4. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, Michael Chabon
  5. The Road, Cormac McCarthy
  6. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire/Order of the Phoenix/Half-Blood Prince/Deathly Hallows,  J.K. Rowling
  7. This Is Where I Leave You, Jonathan Tropper
  8. The Ruins, Scott Smith
  9. The Corrections, Jonathan Franzen
  10. The Historian, Elizabeth Kostova

Posted via web from moviegoer's posterous

5 comments:

  1. Love the Charlie Huston - never read the Harry Potters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to add the Mitch Albom books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would delete an Albom tribute immediately; he's a hack.
    http://joaj34.blogspot.com/2009/02/mitch-albom-talentless-hack-swindle.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, just read your post. Kind of reminds me of the Dave Chapelle stand up where he had stopped in a Mississippi restaurant and was trying to choose something to eat. "The Chicken!" "Now how did he know that? All this time I thought I liked chicken because it was juicy and delicious when truly I was genetically predisposed to liking chicken."

    I've never claimed Albom was an author for the ages, but speaking for myself only (and as a person who doesnt enjoy reading often) I was begged to read 5 people and was so engrossed in it that I had to rent the movie afterwards. Not only that, I went out and bought Morrie and For One More Day as well. (BTW, didin't like Morrie)

    I guess what it really comes down to is where it hits ya, and 'For One More Day' hit me like a load of bricks. I really found a lot of myself in the lead character. Also, the sentimentality really gets to me and helps to release a lot of pent up frustration that often times gets held back.

    More importantly, can you believe that I have read 3 books since college?

    So, in review, Oprah sucks, I'm a fag, and Mitch Albom can die in card catalog hell. But at least we know he will meet 5 important people when he gets there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "So, in review, Oprah sucks, I'm a fag, and Mitch Albom can die in card catalog hell. But at least we know he will meet 5 important people when he gets there."

    Awesome reply!

    ReplyDelete