2. C-USA: So, Houston is the third-best team in the Big-XII South but can't beat ECU. Good to know. Congrats to the Pirates. Let's get those Jolly Roger Skulls on the helmets for the bowl game, fellas!
3. SEC: Domination. Florida was completely out-coached yesterday. The Gators depended on their basic offensive scheme and ran sveral plays over multiple times despite them being shut down on the first attempt. The Tide on the other hand brought in new formations to throw off UF's #1 D and controlled the LoS and ToP with a power running game. If Alabama can play like that again during the BCS Title Game, they should be able to beat Texas. I did want Florida to win, but ti's always nice to see opposing teams make fun of the Gator Chomp. Tebow's tears, on the other hand, were too easy a target and as well as he's played over his career, he's earned the right to a little emotion. So grow up and get off his back.
4. Big-XII: Wow. One second away from pure BCS-chaos and the 'Horns escape on a replay-adjusted clock. Despite the questionable management of the last 90 seconds, Texas escapes from the Huskers and most likely, barring any up-votes for TCU/Boise/Cincy, punched their ticket for the BCS Title Game. Other than that, I don't have a lot to say, as I didn't see this game live due to some B-day celebrating with Mrs. Moviegoer.
Side-Note: I highly recommend the Yuletide at Highwire in Athens. It's a hot toddy for the winter chills and thin-mintly delicious.
5. Heisman: Almost everybody at the worldwide leader is ready to give Ingram the Heisman after his dominant performance in the SECCG. It's a good argument, too, but I would still have to give it to Gerhart. He's been the most outstanding player in cfb this season. Without Gerhart, Stanford's 4-8; without Ingram, Bama's still likely to be undefeated, but I guess he'd still be #2 on my ballot. My top-5 would finish out with Ndomakung Suh, Brandon Graham (that's right: s defensive players, bitches!), and a Timolt Mcebow mash-up.
6. PAC-10: The Civil War. The Oregon-Oregon State game Thursday night was AWE-some! The PAC-10 is a great conference now that they're out from under the shadow of Troy and have secured their spot as #2 behind the SEC. With the win, the Ducks get to go to the Rose Bowl and after Arizona's win over USC, the bowl picture has shaken out pretty clearly with the clarified conference standings.
7. GHSA State Championships: Go Glads! In the Dome, baby!
8. ACC: Clemson did NOTHING as a team, instead relying on C.J. Spiller to do EVERYTHING. Which he almost did, racking up 300 yards and 4 TD's, but coming up just short of the victory, most likely because he didn't play linebacker. Tech locks up an Orange Bowl bid, most likely against Iowa.
9. BCS Bowls: The most likely match-us:
Title Game: Bama-Texas
Rose: Oregon-Ohio State
10. "Always with the Drama"...: We've had some coach-centered drama spilling over from yesterday. Charlie Weis called a very low key, softball laden, W.-esque "press conference" of hand-picked local reporters to say goodbye. Most of it was drivel, but one thing really stood out: Weis discussing Pete Carroll's personal love-life.
“Let me ask you this question: You guys know about things that go on in different places. Was I living with a grad student in Malibu, or was I living with my wife in my house? You could bet that if I were living with a grad student here in South Bend, it would be national news. He’s doing it in Malibu and it’s not national news. What’s the difference? I don’t understand. Why is it okay for one guy to do things like that, but for me, I’m scrutinized when I swear. I’m sorry for swearing; absolve my sins."As expected, Carroll denied the rumors. Weis has since tried to explain that he didn't mean any offense by what he said. The Great Pear went on record today as saying:
""So, in no way was I trying to take a shot at Pete. I feel if I offended Pete, I will run Pete down and apologize. ... In no way do I have any idea what’s going on in anyone’s life other than the fact that rumors on the Internet can affect coaches' lives in a very, very negative fashion.”Hold up, buddy. "run Pete down?" Have you seen yourself? You're not running anything down...except maybe an ice cream truck.
In other drama news on the coaching front, the Pelini brothers are a tad miffed about the way Texas won the B12CG last night. Older bro Carl said that Texas players "should be ashamed to accept that trophy!” Well, less said than screamed at a group of celebrating Longhorns. He then added, "You outta be ashamed to accept that trophy!" Very clever. Way to add depth to the convo, buddy.
Little bro and head-honcho Bo was also upset and did a little conspiracy mongering with shouts of "BCS! That's why they made that call" on his way to engage a Texas fan in an altercation. I guess no one can say they're not passionate up in Lincoln.