Sunday, December 27, 2009

Bowl Picks - Round 2

Well, so far I'm a paltry 2-4 in my bowl picks for the week, with Mormons burning me twice in that stretch. Now we move into the heart of bowl season and I'm looking over the upcoming games and, I have to be honest here, I honestly have no idea in a lot of these matchups. But, I'll do the best I can; here goes:

Early Week


  • Independence Bowl: Texas A&M vs. Georgia - This game means more to the Aggies than it does the Dawgs and the Georgia D will be down 3 coaches while facing the nation's 5th best offense. All that could make for a long, '05 Sugar Bowl-esque, loss. But, AJ Green will be back and the running game found their legs over the back half of the reg. season, meaning UGA could do enough offensively to stay ahead of the Cadet Corps. In the end, I'm going to be a pessimist (and, due to my already poor record, I'm going against my instinct): A&M 37, UGA 35

  • Eagle Bank Bowl: UCLA vs. Temple - Al Golden has done a heck of a job in Philly, but I don't know if it'll be enough to match up with the Bruins. UCLA 27, Temple 14

  • Champs Sports Bowl: Miami vs. Wisconsin - This looks to play out like a Big10-SEC matchup as far as speed is concerned. I like Wisky's lumbering, power running, but I don't know how it matches up with Miami's team speed. If Harris is on, the Canes will roll, but the Badger front could get to him enough to throw off the passing game, forcing the U to rely on other athletes. In the end, though, I'm taking Miami 31, Wisconsin 20.

  • Humanitarian Bowl: Bowling Green vs. Idaho - I don't know...and I almost don't even care. I'd like to take the Vandals, but the Falcons passing game is sick, mainly due to phenom WR Freddie Barnes. This is kinda like a home game to Idaho (even though it's on an in-state rival's field), but that doesn't improve the D backfield: BGSU 30, Idaho 23.

  • Holiday Bowl: Arizona vs. Nebraska - I'm banking on Suh disrupting the Wildcat pass attack and slow the game down enough for the Husker offense to slip by. Nebraska 17, Arizona 16.

NYE

  • Armed Forces Bowl: Houston vs. Air Force - Well, Air Force has the ability to beat Houston - especially if the UCF/ECU Houston shows up - and TCU has the ability to beat anyone. Now, can they and will they are two different things. Houston beat two Big-XII South teams this season and has the nation's top passing attack, which could overwhelm the Falcons if they fall behind early. It's a great odd-coupling with the Force countering with a traditional flexbone, but both sides have questions on D, so we could see some fun fireworks in Ft. Worth: Houston 34, Air Force 27.

  • Sun Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Stanford - Gerhart is great. In fact, he was my Heisman pick. But, the Sooners could finally be healthy and on track, especially when you look at that season ending blasting in the Bedlam Series. Oklahoma 24, Stanford 21.

  • Texas Bowl: Navy vs. Missouri - Here's anothe rflexbone team matching up with a super spread. I'd like to take the Middies, but there's too much speed coming down from Columbia. Here's hoping the Tigers bust out the Beast Mode Unis again: Mizz 33, Navy 22.

  • Insight Bowl: Minnesota vs. Iowa State - Who knows; I flipped a coin. ISU 27, Minnesota 20.

  • Chick-Fil-A Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. Tennessee - Finally, the Bristol Bowl. The Hokies are the ACC team that most closely resembles an SEC team, and they'll need to play like one to contain a resurgent Vols squad in the GA Dome. Tech lost by 10 to 'Bama, but that doesn't mean much now considering that same team just blasted Florida by 3 TD's. The Hokies will be able to contain much of what UT throws at them, so the key to this game will be what Tech accomplishes against Monte Kiffin's defense. My guess? Not much when the run's gone and it's all on Tyrod: UT 28, VA Tech 17.

The NYD, 1/2 and BCS picks will be up later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment